Firmware 2.20 brings BD-Live; PSP playlist and remote audio output features
Planned for release in late March, Sony have just announced firmware 2.20 for the PS3.
2.20 will add Blu-ray Profile 2.0, which is also known as BD-LIVE. BD_LIVE brings the opportunity to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games and more.
In addition to BD-LIVE support, the update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP as well as other new features, such as a new audio remote control feature for the PSP. This will allow the PSP to switch the audio output to the PS3 under Remote Play, giving it the ability to act as a remote control for your listening pleasure.
As well as BD-LIVE and PSP playlist features, here's a full list of the other updates 2.20 brings:
- “Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.
- “Audio Output Device” will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
- PS3’s Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser’s view speed will be improved.
- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
- “Mosquito Noise Reduction” will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.