Final Fantasy XIII: rumour tennis and news wrap-up
Over the weekend, Square-Enix held an event in Japan for their dutiful fans. During the event, the invited few were treated to two separate viewings of the new trailers for FF XIII, FF Versus XIII and FF Agito XIII (the PSP title; mobile version has been scrapped), amongst other things.
Well, when we say 'invited few', what we really mean is hundreds of lucky punters. And we're jealous of each and every single one of them.
So, what was discussed, shown and played during the event? And what has the fallout been from the recent FF XIII X360 version announcement?
1. In March 2009 next year, Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children Complete will arrive on Blu-ray. The movie will have a Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII demo on the disk for PS3 only. It will also include a Final Fantasy Agito XIII demo for the PSP.
2. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is going to remain a PS3 exclusive.
3. Development of Final Fantasy XIII for the Xbox 360 is a topic of much discussion, especially in terms of impact on the PS3 edition:
One camp is saying one thing. "We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later.... I'm telling [the development team] to not think about the Xbox 360 right now. We can think about it after the development kits arrive... Right now, we're fully concentrating on the PS3 version." - Motomu Toriyama, Square Enix
And yet we are receiving information more pertinent to Europe that sounds a little distressing. "With the PS3 version complete and hitting Japan in 2009, PS3 gamers in the United States and Europe will have to wait until the Xbox 360 port is done. According to Nomura, his team didn't receive Xbox 360 development kits until a few days ago, so depending on how long it takes the Square Enix team to port the title, the U.S. and Europe may not receive Final Fantasy XIII until 2010." - Justin Pinter, PSU
4. Square-Enix announced a PS3 bundle with the aforementioned Advent Children Complete will also arrive in March 2009, but we think this is probably for Japan only.
5. The title of the Square-Enix event, DKƩ3713, stands for Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts, Sigma Harmonics, Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday, Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 13.
So, that's the complete round up of PS3-related news. We think the development and release schedule arguments, especially when it comes to worldwide release, are going to run and run.