BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Out Today; Get Your 2D Fighting On
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, the #1 arcade sensation in Japan, is finally upon North American fighting fans.Â Developed by Arc System Works, creators of the outstanding Guilty Gear franchise, BlazBlue arrived today for the PlayStation 3.
When a game is hailed as â€œthe true renaissance of 2D fighting gamesâ€ you have to at least give the title a fighting chance.Â Yes, that’s right. I made a really bad pun.Â Big whoop, wanna fight about it?
But since games don’t sell on reputation alone (or do they?), publisher Aksys games decided to make an offer you shouldn’t refuse: a free upgrade to Limited Edition for every pre-order.Â This free Limited Edition contains a soundtrack, bonus Blu-Ray and more.Â As of this writing, online retailers GameStop and Amazon are still offering the Limited Edition of BlazBlue at the standard edition price of $59.99.
A spiritual successor to the Guilty Gear series, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger features twelve extraordinarily detailed, hand-drawn characters in true high-definition glory.Â Fans of Guilty Gear’s hard-hitting rock soundtrack should be delighted to know that famed Guilty Gear creator Daisuke Ishiwatari scored the music for BlazBlue.
“BlazBlue pushes the 2D fighting game genre by introducing intuitive system mechanics with beautiful 2D animation and gorgeous 3D backgrounds,” says a very excited Michael Manzanares, Associate Producer at Aksys Games. “Once you play BB, you’ll find it hard to go back to anything less.”Â Judging by the launch video above, he is absolutely right.
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Features:
- The First HD 2D Fighter from the Creators of the Guilty Gear Series.
- Each character is animated with over 1800 frames of hand-drawn, high-definition sprites.
- Brand new music, animations, backgrounds, and a fully fleshed-out story mode have been made exclusively for the console release.
- Experience the fully realized BlazBlue saga with fully-voiced dialogue in English or Japanese.
- Train your skills online through ranked and player battles. Create online lobbies where up to six players can battle each other or spectate from the sidelines.
- A Plethora of Defensive and Offensive Options at Your Disposal.
- Take advantage of Barriers, Counter Assaults, Rapid Cancels, Barrier Bursts, Ukemi Tactics, Distortion Drives, and console-exclusive Astral Heat for all characters.
Sounds great right?Â It’s only going to get better.Â The free Limited Edition Upgrade only available by pre-ordering includes the following:
- Collectable Limited Edition packaging.
- A two-disc original soundtrack that contains 48 tracks by Guilty Gear’s Daisuke Ishiwatari (19 more than the version released in Japan).
- Bonus video disc containing basic tutorials, expert advice, character-specific strategies, and much more.
The bonus video disc is a collaboration of top BlazBlue players around the nation, showcasing talent from the fighting game community at Dustloop.com and Shoryuken.com. This is the first time such a collaboration has taken place.Â Ever.
Within the bonus video disc, new and veteran players will be treated a full-scale tutorial detailing basic attacks, special moves, distortion drives, proven basic and advance combos, and advanced strategies and tactics per character. With the pros themselves coaching you there is no excuse for button mashing anymore.
Check out the video above, the gallery below and try not to get excited about BlazBlue: Calamity Trailer.Â Are you hyped yet?