Red Faction: Guerrilla update live today; Double XP all weekend
Though NASA may have recently scuppered any chance of us getting our Killzone 2 multiplayer game on with some colonial friends on the Red Planet, that’s not to say there isn’t some Martian fun to be had closer to home.
Available today as part of the weekly PSN update, Volition are ready to unleash a host of Red Faction: GuerrillaÂ changes on the community. And, to celebrate the update, players will enjoy double XP all weekend.
From theÂ community website:
- New Wrecking Crew mode – Challenge Mode: There are 3 rounds of distinct submode/weapon/backpack settings per level. Each participant plays through all 3 rounds to try to get the highest score possible. Challenge Mode is the best way to enjoy WC by yourself, and we’re also allowing all modes to be played with a single player.
- Wrecking Crew Leaderboards: Your scores for Challenge Mode only are automatically uploaded to leaderboards (1 per level) so you can compare how youâ€™re doing against your friends and the world. Leaderboards are only available for Challenge Mode.
- Bonus Wrecking Crew levels unlocked: The 4 pre-order bonus WC levels are now unlocked for everyone, giving you 10 levels in which to blow everything away.
- Weapon and Backpack disabling in Multiplayer: Prevent any specific backpacks or weapons from spawning in a level within a custom match.
- XP multiplier for matchmaking playlists: Double XP playlists are now possible (and will be used).
- Ore Deposits on Minimap: Mining ore that hasnâ€™t been mined will now show up as purple pulsing dots on the minimap. This will help players to obtain the â€œWorking the Landâ€ achievement/trophy.
- Support for upcoming DLC: Demons of the Badlands, our first DLC pack, will be released on August 13th.
- House Arrest icons now reflect their proper completion status after you finish the last mission.
- Convoy spawning is now fixed after you finish the last mission. Previously some convoys would be prevented from spawning.
- Scale of some icons on the full-screen map and minimap has been fixed.
- Parties are no longer allowed to matchmake into Anarchy through the “Any Playlist” selection option.
- Ties no longer count as losses on the MP leaderboards.
- Various minor matchmaking fixes.
The big change from the gamut of updates above is obviously the ability to now implement a “Double XP” feature in the game. Following through on the threat of “and will be used”, this weekend sees the first implementation of the points bonanza. After midnight (PST) on August 9th, however, it’s back to just killing opposing factions for the fun of it (and the normal amount of points of course.)
Finally, we’re quite pleased with ourselves considering we’ve managed to get the whole way through this item without bringing up the “Get Your Ass To Mars” meme. Oh, hang on …