Super Street Fighter IV Tournament Mode DLC now available … as of last week
On June 14th a new patch for Super Street Fighter IV went live. The 12MB update includes the free Tournament Mode that was promised before the game was even released.
I finally got a chance to try the mode out for myself and it’s quite good! It’s exactly what you should expect from a tournament mode. There is support for up to eight players but you can have less. If someone doesn’t have a match they will automatically make it to the next round.
The rules are simple. If you win, you move on. There is no losers bracket. If you’re defeated, you are eliminated from the tournament. Players that are not competing in a match are allowed to spectate and communicate (via voice chat). This includes players that were previously eliminated. You don’t gain or lose any points when playing in the tournament mode.
What’s great is that the tournament will continue even if someone leaves. If a host happens to be a sore loser and wants to rage quit, a new host will be assigned. For the most part, you won’t even know they left. All of the matches can be saved to the Replay Channel. If you happened to have an epic confrontation with another player, you can always rewatch the match.
- Fei Long’s infinite combo loop against Juri will be removed.
- Unblockable Ultras will be fixed.
- Guy will no longer be able to be thrown while he’s crouching and in hit stun animation. A bug made it possible to combo throw moves while he was in this state.
- Ibuki’s invincibility window on wake up — under certain circumstances — was too long, this will be fixed.
- The 2nd hit of Ibuki’s Spinning Kicks missing Chun-Li will be fixed.
- Counter hit damage on M. Bison’s (Dictator) Ultra 2 was too low, the life it takes off when it scores a counter hit will be increased.
- Sagat’s Angry Scar was not working properly in some instances (EX-Tiger Uppercut doesn’t get damage upgrade in some cases).
There’s also an XMB tracking feature. It doesn’t matter which mode you’re in. If someone is on your friendslist they can see the mode you’re playing in. It’s somewhat useless but kind of neat.
Hopefully the support doesn’t stop here. We’d love to see more free content added to SSFIV.