News

The latest PS3 news – read this and your PlayStation will thank you…

Previews

Your PS3 future awaits – what is coming soon for PlayStation?

Reviews

Our unique ‘no-score’ reviews, delivering fair and balanced assessments…

Views

We’re called PS3 Attitude for a reason. Check out our PlayStation opinions here…

Vita

Need PS Vita news and reviews? We’ve got your handheld PlayStation covered too…

Home » Featured, Headline, Views

#Dolph10k – Training Journal – Week 2

Submitted by on Friday, 2 September 20112 Comments

Survival of the Fittest e1310531419160 #Dolph10k   Training Journal   Week 2The Men’s Health Survival of the Fittest 10k adventure race is getting closer, and I’m working extra hard to raise donations for GamesAid by taking part in this monumental challenge!

With just a quarter of a year to go until the big day, it’s that time when I deliver my weekly Training Journal to keep you all up-to-speed on what I’m doing and how I’m getting on. Read on to find out what I’ve been up to this week…

How to help: You can donate right now at my JustGiving page. If you’re in the UK, you can donate £5 by text message – just send ‘DLPH96 £5′ to 70070.

As I explained in the first journal, this is a big deal for me. After 20+ years of inactivity I still haven’t run 1k, let alone ten, and I certainly don’t have the strength to manage the obstacles on the course right now.

The challenge of taking part and actually doing well, in what is considered one of the UK’s most difficult 10k runs, is becoming more daunting by the day, and that’s why I’m asking for you to spur me on by donating whatever you can to GamesAid.

This week has been better than the last. The injury I’ve been carrying for the last month has finally started to calm down, and I can now run without pain.

That means I’ve been able to get back to the ‘strength training’ part of my regime. A combination of all sorts of exercises, including leg presses, shoulder presses, bench presses and kettlebell swings, have been my life for the last few days.

The method? I’m lifting very heavy weights and am doing so very slowly. That puts the right type of strain on my muscles for strength and endurance. But weights are only really 25% of the battle. The other 75% is nutrition.

If you don’t feed the body, it won’t repair the muscle properly. Repairing torn muscles is how to build them. You tear them slightly when you lift the weights, and then you shovel in as much high quality food as you can to encourage the re-growth of the tissue and the addition of new muscle fibre. I’m eating like a horse at the moment, and supplementing the diet with a careful combination of natural products, such as green tea extract, odourless garlic and whey protein.

Next week, I will find things a little tougher as I have to travel a few hundred miles, but I’ll be looking for opportunities to perform ‘body weight’ exercises on the road and in the hotel rooms. The real training starts the week after, when I’ll need to do something fairly serious every other day, including the most important part of all – running!

Come back for more details on what I’ve been up to as I get ready for the Men’s Health Survival of the Fittest 10k adventure race.

Please give what you can, and please spread the word. Use the hashtag #Dolph10k on Twitter, and let all your friends know about these training journals each week on Facebook, Google+ or wherever you connect with your people. Everyone you share them with can make a difference.

You can donate right now at my JustGiving page. If you’re in the UK, you can donate £5 by text message – just send ‘DLPH96 £5′ to 70070.

JustGivingText #Dolph10k   Training Journal   Week 2