Sony’s Jack Buser is the Statman
Jack Buser was in excellent form in an interview with venturebeat.com, celebrating all things Sony and digital. The senior director of PlayStation Digital Platforms at SCEA had a few choice words for Sony’s competitors, who he says are “losing the plot, forgetting what built this industry” – the gamers.
Buser’s interview is full of interesting comment on Sony’s digital strategies and offers insight into the company’s priorities. It also offers a brilliant number of stats. Buser is a stat-producing machine.
Check these out:
- More than 100 million PSN accounts worldwide
- More than 64 million PS3 units worldwide
- 1,578 downloadable games since the PSN launched
- Fastest selling game on PlayStation Network was Journey
- 80 percent of PS3s connected to the internet worldwide
- More than 70 percent of PSN members use PSN weekly or more often
- Average hours PSN is used per week is 7.1 hours
- Two thirds of PlayStation Network members play online multiplayer on PSN weekly or more often
- PS3 was reported as the top device for streaming Netflix, accounting for more than 30 percent of total usage, according to a report from June 2011
- The first to bring Amazon Instant Video, sports applications such as MLB TV, NHL Game Center, NFL Sunday Ticket
- One third of PS Vita owners in North America downloaded Netflix and users are spending about three hours per week watching TV, movies
- More than 4.3 million songs streamed globally to the PlayStation Vita since it was available
The PR in the interview also had a nice stat to offer:
- 20 percent of MLB owners are using cross play
Bet you learned at least one new thing there.